Saturday, September 8, 2018

Week 3A: Communication - Business and Consumer

I think everyone at some point has had a bad experience trying to communicate with a business. An example I think everyone can relate to is say you go through the drive thru of a fast food establishment, order, get your food, and leave, but not before checking the contents to make sure your order is correct, only to find it's the wrong order. So you park and go inside, only to have the manager say you're wrong and you can't do anything about it. Maybe I'm projecting a bit.

Social media can make it easier to get your problem solved, depending on the platform and the company. Yelp, for example, is a great platform for food establishments to take criticism and can be a good way to have your issue with the restaurant taken care of.

I have never attempted communicating with a business through social media, as I'd rather complain about a problem in person, but I have seen examples of people having positive communications with some businesses over social media, particularly if that person has a large enough following.

I would respond to negative comments on my business's social media by not attempting to argue with the unsatisfied consumer, as most of the time the mob that is the internet will side with the individual rather than the business, and that can leave your company in a negative light. That's why the phrase "the customer is always right" has some truth to it, you never really should argue with the customer so you can keep them coming back.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Mikey,
    Thank you for posting about your experiences and personal preferences in regards to social media oversight. I agree that attempting to argue with a customer on social media is almost always a poor option for the business no matter how ridiculous the problem or accusation may be. I've found that almost as important as not arguing with a customer, is the dictation used to speak to such customers. Certain customers will want to be treated like a princess who has been extraordinarily wronged, while others will simply want to be treated with honest and genuine human dignity. But one thing both types of customer will appreciate is their problem being addressed in a polite and caring manner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point when it comes to the drive-thru! I didn't think of it from that perspective. Although, I have never had a manager tell me I am wrong and not correct the problem, I have often experienced not checking the bag just to find that something was missing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mikey! (My friends and family call me "Mikie," too for short!

    I didn't think about Yelp as a viable platform to rectify customer service issues, but you're totally right! There are plenty of instances I have seen there where the establishment wants to make things right for those who have given less than stellar reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey! I really liked your example about going to a drive through because it it a totally different experience than going to a sit down establishment.

    ReplyDelete